Children and adults are often highly motivated by music and will participate in tasks in which they may otherwise lose interest.
Music therapy enhances:
- Motor Coordination
- Social Interaction
Click here for a free consultation on how music therapy can help persons with Down Syndrome.
Music therapists utilize a variety of techniques to facilitate goals. Neurologic music therapy techniques may be utilized to facilitate oral motor and speech development, fine and gross motor development, and cognitive development.
- Enhanced motor coordination can be achieved through specialized Neurologic Music Therapy (NMT) techniques.
- Speech and Language skills can be greatly improved with specialized techniques. In addition, augmentative communication (sign language, PECS, computer assisted technology, etc.) can be incorporated into the music therapy session.
- Cognitive skills can be incorporated with NMT techniques.
- Attention and listening skills can be enhanced through therapeutic music experiences.
- Social skills can be facilitated in both individual and group music therapy experiences.